The first day of Ilosaarirock Festival finished with an energic show by Imagine Dragons.
As Friday evening turned towards night, awaited American alternative rock band Imagine Dragons took the Main Stage and started powerfully with their new single Thunder. The crowd was cheering enthusiastically right from the start and singing along with the band’s singer Dan Reynolds. The day was especially special for Reynolds because it was his 30th birthday.
– I never thought I would be spending my 30th birthday in Finland! Reynolds, the happy singer, called out on stage.
Reynolds also wondered how the sun could just be setting when it was already close to midnight.
– What is this place?
Reynolds thanked the audience for making the band’s return to Finland feel so good. This was their third gig in Finland and second time in Ilosaarirock. The band’s last visit to Ilosaarirock was in 2013.
Imagine Dragons took the Ilosaarirock crowd by storm. Photo: Antti Pitkäjärvi
Amidst the crowd was Antti from Joensuu with his friends. He said that he was not very familiar with the band’s music beforehand, save for the most played hits.
– I don’t usually listen to rock that much but this gig was a positive surprise, Antti noted smiling.
Antti particularly enjoyed Reynold’s energetic and positive stage presence.
– The guy is clearly having a great time on stage! A nice guy.
Antti also revealed that he was a newbie at Ilosaarirock.
– This is the first time I’m here at Ilosaarirock because I moved to Joensuu only one and a half years ago. It’s been a blast! It has also been nice to see how people of various ages have found their way here.
The friend group also had clear plans for the rest of the evening.
– Next we are going to the bar Kerubi to have an afterparty and see if there’s any people there. The night is still young!
Text: Anniina Hautakoski Photo: Antti Pitkäjärvi
Translation: Jenni Rajala